HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

EHIC Card

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 4:33 am

Remember when travelling to take your card

If you havn't got one beware of pitfalls in getting one....

Came in earlier today to find other half had just relised she had paid 10 quid to apply for the card on a site that does 'validity checks' , which is what you pay for. So we are not sure if she will get a card via that site so we found the correct site and applied again.

We are now chasing the refund through the credit card company.

You have been warned. I have actually seen these EHIC card sites advertised on the big ad at the top of the page on this site so they do get around. The fraudulent one she used was called nhs-direct.org. (uk) (I've corrupted the name on purpose so it won't show as a link)

Here is the nhs site which will link you correctly

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

AN EHIC CARD IS FREE, IF THE SITE ASKS YOU TO PAY GO NO FURTHER !

Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 'Thumper'
Isuzu TFS69 Pickup 'The bakkie'
Ex Owner of Tiggurr The 101

"And that road rolls out like a welcome mat
I don't know where it goes but it beats where we're at
We always said someday somehow
We were gonna get away gonna blow this town" --------- Lonestar
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 5:09 am

Glad you've pointed this out, it may save somebody else from getting stung. Can't do anything about the adverts at the top of this forum unfortunately, not unless I shell out cash top stop 'em.

Funny you should mention £10, as I've just been scammed for £10 ... three times over! Seems I inadvertently signed up for membership to a discount scheme which has cost me £30 in membership fees. How? Read on ...

Google completesavings.co.uk and you'll find hundreds of folk who have been charged £10 per month for a scheme they didn't realise they had signed up for. They say they never gave their card or contact details, but it all started after they bought goods/services with recognised 'safe' websites such as Argos, Trainline, Tickmaster, etc. In my case it was National Express, and I now realise what I did - and reckon it's exactly the same for thousands of others.

After purchasing a seat on a National Express coach, up popped a box which said - 20% discount on your next ticket with National Express - who in their right mind would refuse should an offer, especially on a reputable site as National Express? Thinking I had nothing to lose, everything to gain I signed up for my 'bonus discount'.

However, it was only after seeing my card's bank statement today that I saw this company called completesavings.co.uk had deducted £10 per month in February, March and May. Upon studying the small print it seems that yes, I would get % discounts off a range of purchases and services (including a National Express ticket), but only if I remain "in the club" which of course costs £10 per month.

The point is - folk don't realise this until the £10's show up on their statements. 12 x £10 isn't cost effective if you only book one of two tickets a year!!!

BEWARE ... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 8:04 am

A quick update - I just tried to log in to my membership account with Complete Savings (www.completesavings.co.uk) so I could cancel it, and guess what? I CAN'T LOG IN. The email address is obviously correct, so is the password as I cross-referenced it with their original email confirmation, but still nothing.

No there's a surprise. Like tons of people before me who have complained about not being able to access their membership account, now I'm in the same boat!

As emailing their Customer Service Department seems to fall on deaf ears - especially when the world "cancellation" appears - I guess my only option is to cancel my debit card and order a new one. This is the only definite way to stop the payments being withdrawn. Highly annoying but necessary!!! mad

Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 8:20 am

Sorry to hear that Tom, it is so easy to get caught, my Dad got a scareware program (the ones that tell you that the machine is infected and ask you to pay for a full version to remove infections). Unfortunatly it panicked him and he paid.

Anyway when I found out I got him to put a query in on the payment (credit card, product not fit for ourpose etc etc) and we also emailed the address on the confirmation email. Believe it or not within 2 hours the money had been refunded, I guess they didn't want a run in with the credit card co. as eventually they would lose the ability to take cards but if they refunded like a good little scammer the few that asked then they were still making a mint.

I guess the rules are

1. Think

2. Read the small print / whole page

3. Use a credit card if possible as you have greater legal protection

4. However hard do tell others as a warning if you get caught

Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 'Thumper'
Isuzu TFS69 Pickup 'The bakkie'
Ex Owner of Tiggurr The 101

"And that road rolls out like a welcome mat
I don't know where it goes but it beats where we're at
We always said someday somehow
We were gonna get away gonna blow this town" --------- Lonestar
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 10:57 am

Always take out a good medical insurance as well, many countries try to scam British visitors (Spain particularly) by sending a doctor who is a private doctor and is not covered by your card, this means YOU are responsible for paying their bills and not the UK Government.

Sadly in many countries only a minimal amount of their private hospitals do cater for British visitors and recognise EHIC card schemes and this often means long journeys to a hospital which recognises the scheme, not something you want or need in a dire medical emergency.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 am

Despite all the constant moaning about the NHS, it is an excellent institution. Little wonder Calais is not the final destination for the dregs of Africa ... and well beyond!

The thing is, wholly because of the NHS we get lulled into a false sense of security abroad and expect other members of the EU to have similar systems, or at the very least honour the EHIC card. Unfortunately, as you say often they don't.

That's not to say that other health systems are bad, France for instance has health care second to none, and that's based 99% on private insurance. Holiday travel insurance doesn’t cost a fortune, I agree with Assassin that you'll cover every base by taking out some decent cover.

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Fri May 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Too late I'm afraid I got caught on this one last year, first time I had applied then the wife who normally sorts out anything like this said you shouldn't have paid as they are free.

Oh well lesson learned Mad

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   Sat May 12, 2012 11:23 am

Opps! No

PostSubject: Re: EHIC Card   

Back to top Go down

EHIC Card