HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Hi from Norwich

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hudson1984
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Hi from Norwich   Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 am

Hi all glad to be here Smile

hoping to find some help from the pros.

I'm looking to get a overland vehicle that will take me to norway and similar. without going into huge "have you seen how cold it gets there" debates what i'm really after is recommendations of a suitable vehicle.

I won't be going for a couple of years and in this time i'd like to start with a vehicle and slowly build it into the required machine but what to start with?

Defender: too small if it's freezing outside i'm going to want a base than i can live in
Transit County: right size but rare and not reliable let alone trying to find parts on more regular trips away
Pickup truck: ideal but really small would need a roof tent, trailer, awning etc and none would interconnect so would have to go outside to get into bed or to eat - not ideal

help help help Sad just can't find what isn't there

I guess the best option i have is a single cab pickup and coachbuild a box on the back as a living quarters..

oh and a unimog or similiar would not fit where i live hehe

hi all by the way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Norwich   Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi & Welcome to the Forum.

Kia Sorento, 2.7tdi, good cargo area, fuel economy and reliability. Best of all Cheap.

Daewoo Musso. Norway, Iceland, Sweeden, Russia. Big Following because they love cold weather.

You can put a full length roof rack and roof tent on a Pick up. My company Hardtopsuk.com has supplied and fitted a hardtop to the rear of a pickup. The hard top came with roof rails. The Owner of the vehicle had a full length aluminium roof rack fitted over cab and hard top with the roof tent on the cab part of the roof rack and not the hard top. The Hard top is rated for 45kg and Tent with 2x people is getting quite heavy.

Pick a vehicle you like. Look at auctions for it because you can save ££££££'s. Take it out for some light off roading and tracks to get used to your vehicle. If you do decide you want to add items or modifications, shop around. Dont buy straight away. To save ££££££ Fit them your self. I bought lots and lots for my Terracan and I ended up taking 30% of the items off because they were not necessary, weighing down my vehicle and reducing reliability.

Standard vehicles work. Don't give in to shiny £££££££ Products.

Jason

Hyundai Terracan 2.9CRDI Auto
Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Norwich   Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 am

Welcome Hudson!

I dunno that a Defender is such a bad idea. Combined with a pop-up roof it will give you the extra space, plus Land Rovers are popular in Scandinavia, so there is a whole network of help and advice out there as the club scene is very active. Worth a thought surely?

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Norwich   

Back to top Go down

Hi from Norwich
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1