HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 am

Never got into bikes, only used my mates running around town, luckly never got court clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:45 am

roamingman wrote:
Never got into bikes, only used my mates running around town, luckly never got court clinking teacups

think that should be you never ended up in court cos you never got caught (sorry to be pedantic but I liked that one) tongue
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Just one other thing to consider, if you changed from the old paper licences, either green or pink, to the new photocard licence; you may have had some of your classes removed on your new licence, or a number having restrictions added to them.

This seems to be widespread, so if you have changed to a photocard licence then check to see if you have has classes removed or restrictions added, if you have you can contact the DVLA and get them reinstated free of charge.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Strewth! Seems mighty strange, how the hell can they justify doing that?

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 pm

iveco4x4 wrote:
roamingman wrote:

think that should be you never ended up in court cos you never got caught (sorry to be pedantic but I liked that one) tongue

thats good, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:44 am

Tom

It was a crafty way of removing classes from a persons licence and claim it was an administration error, it was anything but, and one TV documentary proved this after a guy replaced his old green licence which allowed him to drive up to 7.5 tonnes on a commercial vehicle, and up to 12.5 tonnes as a registered motorhome.

This guy was involved in an accident in an American Motorhome with a MAM of 11.35Kg when he was rear ended by a drunk driver, the Police were called when the driver tried to leg it because he was drunk, and several passers by detained him until the Police arrived. Then the usual protocols were observed, the motorhome driver submitted his license, insurance, and MOT within 7 days to his local Police station, and the licence discrepency came to light.
Police officers told him they had seen this many times before, and asked him to contact DVLA at Swansea and ask why classes had been removed from his new licence, this he did, and was issued with a new licence with the correct classes on, and obviously the Police took no action.

At this point it became the topic of conversation at his place of work and many others said they had suffered the same thing, classes omited on new licences, which he saw as more than just an occasional error. At this point he contacted a TV company about this incident, only to be told by them that they had received numerous complaints about such actions, and they investigated. In their investigations they spoke to a number of whistleblowers from the DVLA, and many provided documentation about this being DVLA policy to restrict drivers to the new regulations which did not apply to them due to the age of their licences.
Back to top Go down
PAT4NEIL
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 am

Some of these posts are very wrong. You cannot drive a 12 ton motorhome on a car licence. Ther is no grey areas, it is purely on weight. I would like to see the earlier poster back his ideas up with legislation.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:34 pm

The legislation backs it up.
Back to top Go down
twende
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 am

Quite clear on this DVLA page. Unless the old green licence replacement has somekind of bend in the rule!

https://www.gov.uk/driving-motorhome
Back to top Go down
PAT4NEIL
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 am

Sorry Assasin you are very wrong and giving duff advice, which should be ignored by anyone considering a motorhome over 7500 kg mam.

Twende has put a link to the correct law.

It would be interesting to see where you have got this mis guided information from. Do you have direct links to it.

My vehicle will soon be upgraded to 12500 kg and i have had to acquire my C catagory to accomadate this.

There is definately no grey area on this matter it isvery clear in all the legislation.

The fact that its good or not goods , a lorry or a motorhome is irrelivant, the licences are done purely on MAM.

What you use the vehicle for does however have an effect on your insuraunce and the requirement for a tacho.

Neil.

Ps. Hi John , xmas greeting to you and Steph..

Back to top Go down
Peej
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed    Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:45 am

Very interesting post which has made me check my licence, I past my test in 1973 and it is C1 ie. motorhome upto 7500kgs i,ve never had a C rating 7500 to 12500. I always thought this was HGV3?

While we are on this subject, I drive a Jeep jk plated to tow a trailer of 3500kg, GVTW of 5500kg if I use it with trailer for hire or reward I need a Tacho, if it's my own personal goods I don't but if I want to sell it then I can only sell, morally, to some one who has a C1E licence and guess what they are getting fewer by the year.

2012 onwards Jeep JK's have a down rated rear axle that then allows drivers with the restricted licence to buy them, why, because it's EU law! Great Britain has become a Great Puddin!

OK apologies, I'll put my soapbox away now.  angry

Back to top Go down
twende
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 pm

I've got to say I'm not very impressed with the DVLA at the moment.  Long story but as you know Pat and Neil, I was a silly boy and have now had my HGV and C category taken off me due to having to take insulin to control my Type2 diabetes.  Hence the for sale sign on the truck at AO13.  

Luckily I met a couple of guys at the AO13 who told me to reapply when my licence was revoked (mid October) as they had the same problem.  The DVLA Medical team does not keep up with modern medication, they see Insulin on the doctors report and the bells start ringing.

Anyway, I've been to see consultants and have been keeping my blood glucose low by being careful with my food intake (in fairness it's done me a favour) as I will not be selling the truck, I'm going to get my licence back by hook or by crook which will make me more responsible for my own health in the future.

Wish me luck on Monday, I've got my D2 and D4 DVLA forms for my doctor to fill out so that I can send them off and hopefully have the best Christmas present ever  adore 

Seasons greetings to you Pat and Neil, wherever your truck has taken you  Santa
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Good luck indeed, fingers crossed for you!

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:18 pm

twende wrote:
I've got to say I'm not very impressed with the DVLA at the moment.  Long story but as you know Pat and Neil, I was a silly boy and have now had my HGV and C category taken off me due to having to take insulin to control my Type2 diabetes.  Hence the for sale sign on the truck at AO13.  

Luckily I met a couple of guys at the AO13 who told me to reapply when my licence was revoked (mid October) as they had the same problem.  The DVLA Medical team does not keep up with modern medication, they see Insulin on the doctors report and the bells start ringing.

Anyway, I've been to see consultants and have been keeping my blood glucose low by being careful with my food intake (in fairness it's done me a favour) as I will not be selling the truck, I'm going to get my licence back by hook or by crook which will make me more responsible for my own health in the future.

Wish me luck on Monday, I've got my D2 and D4 DVLA forms for my doctor to fill out so that I can send them off and hopefully have the best Christmas present ever  adore 

Seasons greetings to you Pat and Neil, wherever your truck has taken you  Santa

Hi I have type 2 diabetes, and just take tablets, still got my c on license.
Back to top Go down
Mudslingger
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:17 am

It does not effect you until your injecting insulin, then your licence has to be renewed every 3 years, and they remove some of the catergries without a medical check.
Interesting post on the licence issue, I used to tow a trailer on a roadrunner truck, train weight of about 11 tonne but covered under a special dispensation, on a car licence but I'm sure that was withdrawn I will be checking though, and post 97 you can tow above 750 kg trailer as long as the gvw does not exceed 3500 kg in total ie ford mondo 1500 kg caravan 1800 kg total weight 3300 kg as long as it meets the legal weights for that vehicle and does not exceed 3500 kg you can tow on a normal post 97 licence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.drivingbeyond.com
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:33 am

This issue has raised its head many times as often the DVLA give incorrect advice based on their standard information, so you need to speak to the person with the correct knowledge as it depends on the type of licence and age of the license.

Once had DVLA tell me I am fine to drive an artic but I couldn't drive an 8 wheeler rated at 16 tonnes, that's how good they are.
Back to top Go down
PAT4NEIL
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:16 am

Sorry assasin. The information on the DVLA web site is correct and in accordance with the licencing legislation.

Basically if you have the old style licence then its 7500kg plus the trailer.

If you drive over that weight then you are driving without a licence unless you have a class C or equivelant.

No getting round it. Its clear in black and white

Neil
Back to top Go down
PAT4NEIL
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:18 am

Your are however right about the quality of advice given by individuals at the DVLA. That why you have to look at the legislation to get the correct information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed   

Back to top Go down

Gaz 66 Motorhome, Vehicle weights and relevant Licences needed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2