HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

52 Weekends by the sea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: 52 Weekends by the sea   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 am

This summer I plan to tick off the first 7 remote coastal places in a book I had for Christmas, 52 weekends by the sea.

I intend to leave the leafy lanes of Oxfordshire and head north to the far north west of Scotland.

First overnight stop Airdrie to visit the outlaws after which I will head north to Durness spending the night at the youth hostel before catching the ferry the next morning to cross the Kyle of Durness, from here a local bus to the Cape Wrath lighthouse returning in the evening to visit Smoo cave.

The following morning drive a single track road past Kinlochbervie to Blairmore where we will abandon the vehicle and embark on a 4 mile walk carrying tent, water cooking equipment etc and spend that night wild camping at Sandwood bay one of the most remote beaches in the United Kingdom.

Return to the car the following morning and drive south again on single track roads to the Coigach peninsula visiting Reiff, Altandu and spending the night at Polbain.

Again driving south the next day we will drive the Bealach nam Bo (pass of cattle) the longest steep hill of any classified road in the UK spending the night at the Applecross campsite.

Next a drive across the wild Knoydart peninsula to Inverie taking in the views of Sgurr Coire Choinichean and the sea loch's of Nevis and Hourn spending the night at the Knoydart bunkhouse.

Back to civilisation now with a visit to Mallaig and that's as far as the planning got so far, I have to fit in another trip to Airdrie for a birthday party and then hopefully back to the coast to continue with the trip.

I know it's not the wilds of the Sahara but we all have to start somewhere, just hope the ML hold's together over the rough and tumble of the single track roads and I'm not let down by the limited ground clearance.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:29 am

theres nothing wrong with staying in the uk and seeing whats here before heading to far flung shores .
i did it last year and all being well and time off work , i`ll be going again this year , no planning just load up and go , this time i might just stop before carlyle [ spelling] but usually for me its just plant my boot and not let off before i get to there . Laughing seriusly i think scotland with good weather takes some beating .
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 pm

graeme wrote:
Laughing seriusly i think scotland with good weather takes some beating .

yes totally agree thats one of the reasons we moved up here 23 years ago.

one pice of advice you my find the fuel up here a lot more then England. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 am

graeme wrote:
theres nothing wrong with staying in the uk and seeing whats here before heading to far flung shores .
i did it last year and all being well and time off work , i`ll be going again this year , no planning just load up and go , this time i might just stop before carlyle [ spelling] but usually for me its just plant my boot and not let off before i get to there . Laughing seriusly i think scotland with good weather takes some beating .

My wife and I did a lot of travelling in France last year lovely countryside but as you say the UK takes some beating.

I'm with Billy Connelly on the weather issue "there's no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes"

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: First venture   Tue May 03, 2011 3:33 am

As a shake down for our trip in July we have spent the weekend in the wilds of Essex touring around the Island of Mersea destination 37 in our planned 52 places to visit around the coast of the UK.
The weather was great and all seemed to go as planned not a lot of overlanding in Essex but we did manage to find a few grass verges to drive over and a few single track roads.

Next trip will be to test out the overnight wild camping gear before we set off in July.

We have now added 2 more destinations to the list to do in Scotland, Oban and then off to the boarder's via Loch Lomond, we are looking at ticking off a few more place's on our trip south as we head for home.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 am

That is a cool idea.

Might have to read that book.

Have you got a map marked out
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 7:03 am

We are sorted on the way up to the furthest point north and also for the next 2 or 3 points on the way back south but we are leaving our options open as there may be something we see that merits a better look or we may spend longer in any one location, if the weather is kind to us the views in Scotland are breathtaking.

The book was a great find by my sister in law, she and I are both 52 and we wanted to do something unforgettable for our birthday last year, so it's a bit of an omen both 52 and 52 weekend by the sea the book is full of fantastic photo's from all over the UK and most of the destinations are a little off the beaten track and in places I would not normally even think of visiting.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 7:49 am

Hi wideformat4x4, we are over on the east coast of Scotland, if you have any interest in Dracular could show you the castle that inspired the book. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 8:15 am

roamingman wrote:
Hi wideformat4x4, we are over on the east coast of Scotland, if you have any interest in Dracular could show you the castle that inspired the book. clinking teacups

I have relatives in Torphins between Bancory and Aberdeen and visit the area quite often usually staying at Craigdendaroch near Ballater.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 am

A very nice place in the highlands. cheers
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 7:33 pm

just bought the book
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 pm

chally2 wrote:
just bought the book
Now for the t-shirt! Laughing

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 am

chally2 wrote:
just bought the book

You won't regret it the picture's alone will make you want to visit most of the places, who need abroard when there are view's like these in the UK Very Happy

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: 52's   Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 am

Well now back home, after the first part of our 52 seaside visits the scenery was just as the book said breath taking.
All went according to plan except there was no way we could have driven to Inverie across the Knoydart peninsula most of the local's has 110's and Land cruisers and they were all taken over on the ferry as across country its a 16 mile drive from the nearest road and its only a walker path it would have been akin to the camel trophy trying to get there with my wife and her sister it was not going to happen affraid

Were now planning the next 5 visits which are the Scottish boarders and Lake district, can't wait

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: 52 Update   Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Well been a bit lazy of late did no's 31 Bridport, West Bay and Chesil beach in November of last year and 32 and 33 Portland bill and the Isle of Purbeck in December.

We seem to pick some great days for our trips although cold the days were bright and sunny with the sea a little rough but the sea always looks more picturesque with white tops to the waves.

In my defence I have been off roading and laning a lot in December and January in the Frontera around Evesham, Hertfordshire and Hampshire with the Frontera owners club, oh and not forgetting a couple of jaunts across Salisbury Plain with the Bourne Valley 4x4 boys.

But now the nights are slowly drawing out it's time to turn our attentions on the 52 book so with this in mind we are planning to take a trip in April for a week covering numbers 9 the Rhins of Galloway (staying in a converted lighthouse) , 10 Kirkcudbright, 11 The Solway Firth and finishing up at no 12 St Bee's and Whitehaven in the lakes.
We will probably do Premier inns or travel lodge's for a couple of the night's as err indoors only like camping in this country in July, August or abroad the rest of the year.

I Would have liked to take a little longer and may be travelled a little further south and done a couple of the places in north Wales but we have to be back for the Frontera's Strata Florida trip so it will be a quick turn around, home unpack the ML quick check over the gear and then pack it all back in the Frontera for the off the next day.

Later in the year I hope to fit in another couple of the 52 destination but with The Frontera's owners club annual meeting at Sibbertoft in May the Le Mans 24 hour in June and then back to Le Man in July for the Le Mans classic it's looking like it may have to wait for next year.

I'm hoping to talk the good lady into a longer overland adventure then as it's her 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary later this year so a little drive to Australia for a while may be a reality, we have talked about it but if serious we need to start the planning asap (watch this space)

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 am

wideformat4x4 wrote:
I'm hoping to talk the good lady into a longer overland adventure then as it's her 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary later this year so a little drive to Australia for a while
Then you'll need one of these ...

It's even a 4x4, all for the equivilent of about £3,000 I would say - www.aquajeep.com

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 am

Tom Mc wrote:
wideformat4x4 wrote:
I'm hoping to talk the good lady into a longer overland adventure then as it's her 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary later this year so a little drive to Australia for a while
Then you'll need one of these ...

It's even a 4x4, all for the equivilent of about £3,000 I would say - www.aquajeep.com

Thought we would drive to Malaysia and swim the last bit, or leave the car there then fly to Oz and then fly home after we get board, could be there a while Very Happy

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Well most stuff now packed and ready for the off for our second excursion ticking off more destinations on the 52 weekends by the sea numbers 9 the Rhins of Galloway (staying in a converted lighthouse) , 10 Kirkcudbright, 11 The Solway Firth, 12 St Bee's and Whitehaven in the lakes then south to 13 outside Liverpool to see Antony Gormleys statues another place on the beach.

Then back home to unpack one vehicle then repack camping gear and recovery gear for the Frontera owner's club Strata Florida trip the next day.

With the rain that's been falling recently the Strata trip could be interesting to say the least I just hope my home made (well converted) Landy 90 snorkel is up to the task as well as the door seals or it could be a nice new pair of bin liner socks to keep the cold wet feet at bay. affraid

Anybody got a spare pare of water wings I could borrow Very Happy

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:32 am

Nah, it'll be sunshine all the way, although the nights look mighty nippy ... below freezing tempreatures await. No

Whatever - HAVE FUN MATE!

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 am

Well back on the grid after a couple of days in Scotland.

The weather as always in our trips to Scotland has been fantastic a little cold but bright sunshine all the time.

Back in England now done the first of the North Western places and spent the afternoon touring the Northern Lakes off to St Bees and Whitehaven tomorrow.

Forgot to pacK the camera lead so no pics till I get home.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

Told you, sun all the way! Look forward to those piccies, safe journey mate.

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: 52 pic's    Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 am

Just a few pictures from our recent trip to Scotland and the Lakes.

As Tom mentioned the weather was sunshine all the way until Liverpool and the drive home.
Now packing for the Frontera trip to Strata Florida

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.365479810154703.82589.100000780603916&type=1&l=3755290929

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 am

Blind optimism I assure you, didn't even look at the weather forecast! You clearly had a great time, just glad we weren't subjected to the uncensored photos of the ladies and the men in the sand ... ughhhh, I shudder to think. pale

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Looks like you had a great weekend with great weather, picked the right one as well weather warnings are in place for SW Scotland this weekend for heavy showers oh well might top our reservoirs up to overflowing cheers1

http://www.facebook.com/ChooseACheese?ref=hl
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 pm

mugwump wrote:
Looks like you had a great weekend with great weather, picked the right one as well weather warnings are in place for SW Scotland this weekend for heavy showers oh well might top our reservoirs up to overflowing cheers1

I have given up logging on to BBC weather as all last week it was meant to rain every day in the areas we were in but we had no rain until we got to Liverpool.

I am just going to start packing the Funterror for the Strata Florida trip last nights forecast was for heavy rain this morning at home and I am sat in bright sunshine.

The Rhayader weather should be heavy and light showers until Monday I think I will just wait and see.

How British talking about the weather Very Happy Very Happy

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 52 Weekends by the sea   

Back to top Go down

52 Weekends by the sea
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next