HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Animal / Bug Bites

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:26 am

If i was overland in a country where there are venomus animals and insects is there any equipment or medicine that you can carry to "Cure" you?

Is there a list of aid stations wherre you can recieve treatment in verious contry's?

Is it importaint to get certain vaccines before going overland for any period of time?

I ask this not because im ever likely to go to many places that have venomous animals but after watching a fue episodes of that ewan mcgreggor on his bike with his mates and the two patrols they had a crew member who was there just as a medic and they had a whole lot of equipment from plaster's to defribulators etc. IMO this looked abit overkill. :o

Jas

Hyundai Terracan 2.9CRDI Auto
Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 am

snake bite kit, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coghlans-7925-SNAKE-BITE-KIT/dp/B001J4NEOU
Back to top Go down
http://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:43 am

That dont look like much!
I was expecting big needels and bottles of fancy coloured antidotes Laughing

Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

That dont look like much!
I was expecting big needels and bottles of fancy coloured antidotes Laughing

there is a better one, like a syringe.
http://www.worldwidenets.co.uk/venimex-venom-extractor-18-p.asp

but not this. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELUXE-DOUBLE-SNAKE-BITE-BODY-PIERCING-KIT-w-CBRs-16g-/270514300404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efbe8a5f4
Back to top Go down
http://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 am

i thought differant snakes ect had their own anti venum ?
for me it has to be a epypen .for wasp stings anyway. not sure if it would work for any thing else.
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am

Yes you can take a medic with you. Why not a fully equipped ambulance with a chopper on stand by.

On 8 month trip around Australia I did not get bitten by a snake or spider and IIRC Australia has 7 of the most deadly snakes in the world, 7 of the most deadly spiders etc.

Now if you go and try to get to friendly with a snake then it is your own fault for getting bitten. Most animals are more frighten of humans and if you just let them go about their business peacefully they will in general leave you alone. Having said that I would not be tempted to play in salties water.

Got stung by a scorpion in Cuba but I had accidently disturbed it in his nest

You are more likely to suffer from the trots or hygiene related diseases then being attacked by an animal

Each area has its own problems so you need to adapt your kit/attitude to the country that you are going to

HTH

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Snake bite kit? All you need are constriction bandages and learn the correst way to use them. It is NOT recommended you cut the skin or suck on anything, unless you wish to shorten the victims life. You should also NOT wash away the venom that may be on the skin as that is what is used sometimes to identify which antivenine is needed. The bite site should also be marked on the OUTSIDE of the constrictive bandage, because no-one wants to unwrap that bandage for at least 12hrs (it may be 24hrs even) after the bite.

In Australia there are NO anti-venoms you can carry with you. They must be administered by medical personnel, and as someone pointed out, the various snakes & spiders have their own anti-venoms.

Common sense will save you in most cases eg...

Wear stout foorwear
Don't stick your hands in holes or into tree stumps or under logs etc
Shake out your clothes and knock out your boots before putting them on
Keep your tent door zipped shut at all times

Snake and spider bites are not all that common in Australia considering the number of deadly ones we have.

As for epipens...they are useless in case of snake & spider bite. They are for allergies...peanuts & bees & the likes....totally different kettle of fish to venoms Wink

Got a gun? If you are bitten by some nasty snake far from medical help it might be the most comfortable cure Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:14 am

Vixen wrote:

Got a gun? If you are bitten by some nasty snake far from medical help it might be the most comfortable cure Twisted Evil
Does this refer to getting revenge on the snake, thus feeling a little better for it, or simply the quickest less painful way to croak - lights out?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Vixen wrote:

Does this refer to getting revenge on the snake, thus feeling a little better for it, or simply the quickest less painful way to croak - lights out?

You could always fire off a fue rounds and then press the barrel to your bite mark to cauterize your wound. - Well it works in the movies Smile

Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Vixen wrote:

The quickest, less painful way to croak Twisted Evil

Considering in Aust the most common snake bite is the brown snake, and untreated the usual sequence of systemic symptom development goes something like this:

* (<1hr) Headache (an important symptom), irritability, photophobia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, confusion; coagulation abnormalities; occasionally sudden hypotension with loss of consciousness.

* (1-3 hrs) Cranial nerve paralysis (ptosis, diplopia, dysphagia etc), abdominal pain, haemoglobinuria, hypertension, tachycardia, haemmorrhage.

* (>3hrs) Limb and respiratory muscle paralysis leading to respiratory failure, peripheral circulatory failure with pallor and cyanosis, myoglobinuria, eventually death.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Nice ... and you chose to live there? affraid

There's me assuming again, for all I know they've re-introduced convict ships again. Razz

As it happens, we could do with having a good clear out again over here to get rid of the dregs!

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Nice ... and you chose to live there? affraid

Ah yes, but I am still more at risk of getting run over by a car, falling off a ladder, you know all that stuff, than I am dying from snake or spider bites Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm

True enough, plus by way of compensation there are a few 'little places' to visit over there - Simpson Desert, Northern Territory ...

Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:15 pm

A topic useful. Thank for you share.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:03 am

Obviously a person of few words, Anka seems to be reading though the entire archive of old posts!

Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 am

yes as said use common sense,,,,leave them alone and they will leave you alone,,,dont go playing in there back yard,,,,i hate snakes scorpions and spiders thats why i choose to sleep off the floor in a roof tent or in the delica,,,,,i hate snakes with a passion,,,,, mad in morocco a snake charmer tried to put one on me,,,,,,i threatened to punch his head in if he didnt go away, angry ,,,he left,,,, with his snake,,,,, stupid ,

you can find me in the hammock or spannering on the 101 and if im not there then i dont know where i am...................

http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4

Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal / Bug Bites   

Back to top Go down

Animal / Bug Bites
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1