HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

making your own equipment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:24 am

I like to make my own stuff when I get chance - got loads of stuff I want to do but so far it's fairly limited:

Cooking tripod and storage bag for it

Awning for the passenger side of the 90

Storage box for the ozpig

rear shelf for the 90

MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:46 am

table
Back to top Go down
http://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

I make my own storage and draws etc. Mostly interior stuff. Not good enough fabricating exterior items out of steel or aluminium.

Basicaly for the draws i made a box section Frame out of 25x50mm PAR european redwood, made to width and height to fit in between the wheel arches. Then after securing this to the floor i added the draw runners. Followed by using 12mm WBP plywood to cover the exterior, scribing this around the wheel arches, after this i then made the draws, attatched them to the draw runners and added the front of the draws made out of the same 12mm WBP plywood ensureing a flush finish. Final touches are to apply a grey carpet to the exterior of the draw storage and to add handles and locks. (Ill post pics of this when i figure out how). Laughing

The next thing i would like to do is to remove one or both of the rear seats and build some aditional storage boxes in their place for a fridge and general food and items. Maybe even possibly have a full length base for a single bed. Time will tell.

Jas

Hyundai Terracan 2.9CRDI Auto
Mazda BT50 2.5TDI

Last edited by Terracan Jas on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Make all my own equipment from the design to manufacture, as a professional engineer i have a fully equipped workshop and what little equipment i am lacking, friends who owe me lots of favours have. I make everything from suspension springs through to my own castings in steel, cast, aluminium, coppers, and bronzes.

Personally i find it very satisfying to make your own equipment, but a small word of caution, if you are making stress laden or structural items for your vehicle, i suggest you learn how to fabricate and weld properly, this is fairly easy and cheap to do, but many assume they can weld and actually cannot weld properly.

This was highlighted recently when a friend welded an accessory mounting point onto his chassis, the first time a winch rope was attached it ripped it off and flew, fortunately due to the skill and experience of the winch operator on the other vehicle only a vehicle was damaged.
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:42 am

so do i have an Eng company for 46 year most stuff for D3 some for Defender
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 am

While I have very limited tools etc (but that is growing), and very little space to work, I too enjoy "making it myself" whenever possible. I get a kick out of being inventive and especially recycling stuff from my "shed". My roof rack is home made and the storage in the back of mine started as a plastic drawer unit from Wilkinson for £18.....but I am going to rebuild that soon..Seriously like that Swiss room box idea......matched with a Landietent (sure I can adapt my tent......)
who knows. The missus moans already that I spend too much time on "that bloody car" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 pm

When is your wife's birthday. I ask because I've found the perfect gift for her. Granted it's costly, but can you really put a price on happiness - I think not?

www.farn-ct.ac.uk/templates/coursessearch____155.aspx?id=155&cid=719&s=3&fd=true

Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
When is your wife's birthday. I ask because I've found the perfect gift for her. Granted it's costly, but can you really put a price on happiness - I think not?

www.farn-ct.ac.uk/templates/coursessearch____155.aspx?id=155&cid=719&s=3&fd=true

I'm not THAT brave! Laughing
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 am

Making your own equipment can be fun, IF and I stress IF you have the right skills, material and equipment to make them

Have made everything from caving/climbing harnesses, rappell racks, ropewalkers etc in the past. Life critical equipment has to be SAFER THEN SAFE! Luckily at the time I had a full range of tensile test equipment available to me.

You swing out over a 300 metre drop and you know all the gear attaching you to that bit of string you have made yourself, you need confidence in your workmanship, otherwise it is strawberry jam time!

When you come to design and make a bit of kit ask yourself WHAT IF?

If you design a bag for your cooking stove, what if it fails? OK might have a bit of soot etc in back of car, hardly life threatening.

If you make a table what if it fails? OK might make cooking more awkward, you could always use the ground. Not so conveinient but not life threatening

Design and make a drawer system and it falls apart. OK possibly a mess in back of wagon, lots of inconienience but not life endangering

Make a recovery hoop. That fails potential danger to life is high!

So keep within your comfort zone!

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:51 am

4x4overlander wrote:
Making your own equipment can be fun, IF and I stress IF you have the right skills, material and equipment to make them

Have made everything from caving/climbing harnesses, rappell racks, ropewalkers etc in the past. Life critical equipment has to be SAFER THEN SAFE! Luckily at the time I had a full range of tensile test equipment available to me.

You swing out over a 300 metre drop and you know all the gear attaching you to that bit of string you have made yourself, you need confidence in your workmanship, otherwise it is strawberry jam time!

When you come to design and make a bit of kit ask yourself WHAT IF?

If you design a bag for your cooking stove, what if it fails? OK might have a bit of soot etc in back of car, hardly life threatening.

If you make a table what if it fails? OK might make cooking more awkward, you could always use the ground. Not so conveinient but not life threatening

Design and make a drawer system and it falls apart. OK possibly a mess in back of wagon, lots of inconienience but not life endangering

Make a recovery hoop. That fails potential danger to life is high!

So keep within your comfort zone!

Brendan

Good advice there Brendan
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm

4x4overlander wrote:
What ... "not life threatening" ... ??? It would be if you were in the middle of a desert and the last bottle of shiraz was on it at the time! affraid

I hope you realise people have been shot for less!!! No

Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:21 am

Tom Mc wrote:
4x4overlander wrote:
What ... "not life threatening" ... ??? It would be if you were in the middle of a desert and the last bottle of shiraz was on it at the time! affraid

lol!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Well Tom, you will have to slum it and settle for Pinot Grigio instead.
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Mon May 28, 2012 7:33 am

Tom Mc wrote:
4x4overlander wrote:

Hehe brilliant Smile

www.rustyrhinos.com
It is not often that you will find yourself driving a car, being offered a digestive biscuit and hesitatingly ask "Does it have any sand in it?". It was at this point that we realised we were in the depths of a great place
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
VikingExplorer
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment   Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 am

This is what I built for the back of my Cruiser:
]
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape-blog.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: making your own equipment