HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

First Aid Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: First Aid Kit   Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm

OK...what should you carry?
I guess the expertise of the first aider will influence what is carried, as may the country you are travelling in, but what do we all reckon is the basic stuff needed.

My kit really needs a bit of an update, but tends to carry stuff like

A pair of scissors
A pair of decent forceps
A pair of artery clamps
A thermometer
Splinter removers (I have a number of hypodermic needles that I use for this)
Stitch cutters
Safety pins
Suture material of various types
An eyebath

A variety of dressings, in differing sizes, in various types from non-adherant to highly absorbable, and those suitable for burns
A variety of bandages including compression bandage for snake bite
A few triangular slings
A good sling
A soft collar
3 guedels airways (small, med & large)
Rubber gloves
Sterile saline for wound/eye irrigation

Drugs....always varies but usually something for pain, constipation, diarrhoea, nausea, and then individual prescription requirements.

In the past I have used the RFDS Medical Chest contents list as a guide on what to carry.

If doing a remote trip with a group it's a good idea to have everyone do a medical history sheet. They should carry this in their vehicle and also a copy in a sealed envelope (for privacy) should be copied by the designated trip leader.

What other things do you carry or think a good idea?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 am

My personal opinion is for someone to buy a basic first aid kit, the problem is that many items are time or date expired, so could go out of date if not regularly checked.
From there i would add what is required for a general first aid kit, perhaps burn sprays, or multi purpose items such as baby bum cream which is surprisingly versatile.
From here i would look at risk specific items based on the locations i would visit, research shows the problems, and any good pharmacist will advise on specific products to deal with the issues.

Over the years i have found my first aid kit is an evolution of many years offroading, and still it evolves to deal with the latest issues arising, or the introduction of new or better products. I do not think there is one first aid kit which will suit all conditions or climates, and it needs to be an evolving thing.
Back to top Go down
Biodoctor
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 am

-

Last edited by Biodoctor on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mac
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:44 am

European health card.

As well as the norm, I also carry Celox and military shell dressings.
Back to top Go down
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:49 am

Biodoctor wrote:
what about some sort of dental care,even if you don't know how to use it the chances are you will find a dentist, but how sterile their equipment is is anyones guess,i've seen sterile dental products in large camping stores.

in addition to this , boots the chemist to a temp filling kit .
its a kit that you mix together and pack into the dodgy tooth untill you find a dentist , it does work for around 5 days , provided you don`t go trying to eat anything to sticky like chewying gum.
Back to top Go down
Stu
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:38 am

I carry a life systems mountain leader kit. But that's just for general / group use. I would add a few bits for more remote travel, but mainly some pain killers etc.

I would also consider carrying a sterile kit depending on where I was going.

Also most importantly there is no point in carry loads of this stuff if you don't know how to use it. Also make sure there is more than one of you with the knowledge, not much use if your first aider is the one who needs help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.disco3club.co.uk
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 am

When assembling our first aid kit we got loads of advice from my sister who is a pharmacist - she recommended lots of useful stuff - and their life spans.

A couple of years later my other sister's husband is the medic in the Fire Brigades extrication team so he has given us lots of good advice on what to carry to keep us alive in the event of any trauma when days away from help. He was pleasantly surprised with what we had put together and the only items to add were better bandages, some medical super glue and an eyebath. Just as important he is also going to refresh our first aid training.

Andy
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:16 am

In preparation for our Big Adventure, we attended a 2 day adventure first aid course - just to bring ourselves up to date with current practice. We both found it very useful.

Thanks also for everyone sharing what is in their first aid kits - definitely a few items I need to add to our list!

rgds
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Fri May 18, 2012 8:08 am

Forceps and artery clamps? Stitch cutters? Crikey! I guess it is best to prepare for the worst..but but for example stitch cutters...but you don't include stitching equipment...? Would you attempt stitching anyway?

What are you going to use safety pins for nowadays in First Aid? Argument is for slings...but put a knot in it, much easier Smile

Sterile Saline solution - Why would you carry that if you have water? If you are willing to drink it....?

I quite dislike burns sprays, but that is a personal preference I suppose.

If you have a pair of scissors in there....then they might as well be a decent pair - grab your first aid kit and see if they will cut through the seams of denim or your strong canvas toursers Smile

Out of interest what was extra on the Adventure First Aid Course over a standard First Aid Course? Was your course certified by an awarding body?

www.rustyrhinos.com
It is not often that you will find yourself driving a car, being offered a digestive biscuit and hesitatingly ask "Does it have any sand in it?". It was at this point that we realised we were in the depths of a great place
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Sat May 26, 2012 2:28 pm

It's a information useful for me.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Sat May 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Dilys and I passed our first aid course on Tuesday. ready for trip next year. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Sun May 27, 2012 7:16 am

Wey hey, congrats! Never too old to learn eh? WELL DONE YOU TWO!!! clapping

As long as you have 'medicinal brandy' on board, that's good enough for me. Wink

Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 am

Good stuff. The one day course? Hopefully the trainer didn't tell you that the new "guidelines" tell you not to blow in someones mouth anymore if they are not beathing?

www.rustyrhinos.com
It is not often that you will find yourself driving a car, being offered a digestive biscuit and hesitatingly ask "Does it have any sand in it?". It was at this point that we realised we were in the depths of a great place
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Mon May 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Surely that only leaves suck! Kelly Brook certainly, Janet Street Porter no way!!! sick

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Mon May 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Suck + Janet Street Porter = vasectomy.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Representing the Rambler's Association, JSP is an staunch anti-Greenlane campaigner for a number of years. That's bad enough in itself, but her views on most subjects just seem to grate every time she opens her substantial gob ... just like that atrocious voice of hers. Horrible woman!

PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   

Back to top Go down

First Aid Kit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Health & First Aid-
Jump to: