HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Can anyone correctly identify this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OffroadingBoyo
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 am

We found this parked up in Gibralter - en route to Morocco, I understand that it broke down several times through France/Spain, and the owners left it on the British Base.

I know what it is !

Do you?

Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:40 pm

It is called a Ural, or more commonly called a urinal, it is built in Russia as a general purpose military vehicle and comes as a 4X4, 6X6, or 8X8, they are very reliable normally, although very noisy and without any creature comforts, and their bias is off road working; they are very thirsty which is why they have such large fuel tanks.

From memory the 4X4 has a basic 6 cylinder diesel engine, 6 speed box with low range, locking centre and rear axle diffs, and a central electric winching system.

The 6X6 has an upgraded variant of the above engine to give more power and torque, and the option of a straight 8 cylinder engine with even more power, it has 8 speeds, hydrostatic transmission, low range, and centre and front and rear axle diff locks, 15 ton hydraulic winches front and rear, and more options than you can shake a stick at. The main usage is military so they come with a variety of options for a variety of military roles, usually they have an open top and no doors, these were optional; you can get cold weather (Siberian cold) variants designed to operate down to -40 degrees.

The 8X8 is used mainly as a heavy or recovery vehicle, it is basically a larger variant of the 6X6, it has an 11 speed hydraulic box with low and ultra low ranges, an upgraded straight 8 cylinder engine, or a V12 engine, it has some amazing options such as optional tracks for the rear pair and front pair of wheels.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 pm

How about this setup....not quite serious expedition stuff, but a great touring vehicle the way it was set up

Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:25 pm

or this

Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Vixen wrote:
How about this setup....not quite serious expedition stuff, but a great touring vehicle the way it was set up

why the hell would you want to tow a car behind,,,,,, affraid

you can find me in the hammock or spannering on the 101 and if im not there then i dont know where i am...................

http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:41 am

Well Tuggy, a comprehensive answer from the Assassin, but was he right? It could have been all a big bluff to put us off the scent. Wink

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:59 am

tuggy wrote:

It's common practice over here tuggy, to tow a small 4WD behind a large camper or mobile home. Allows you to set up in a van park and do day trips in the smaller more economical vehicle. Some places you just cannot take a vehicle that big :shock: and who would want to?
Back to top Go down
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 am

from memory what assassin is saying is correct , i looked a one of those but the 4x4 version and basic is an understatement , i also looked at a praga but this was to heavy on fuel to be of any real use , the zil 131 is a multi fuel engine and will run on anything from petrol to vintage vodka even petrol/diesel mix ,tho it will need more regular oil changes , but hey 20/50 is about 3 quid a gallon these days . these do come in a radio bodied version and are more than big enuff to make into a experdition camper and parts are not that hard to get a hold of .

and a gaz 66

http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/gallery2/ConversionofGAZ66

zil 131

http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/gallery2/album16
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Tom:

The confusion comes as Gaz, Zil, and Tatra use the same basic cab, the devil is in the detail.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Assassin wrote:
Tom:

The confusion comes as Gaz, Zil, and Tatra use the same basic cab, the devil is in the detail.
Aha, learnt something today! I had a Tatra 8x8 go through the Mud Run at one of my shows once - awesome!

Also a Scammell Explorer 6x6, another beast of a machine.

And a Humber Pig. I dunno, the things we get up to! stupid

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Scammell Explorer, Constructor, Super Constructor, etc; most are eaten alive by many of the Russian trucks as they carried on developing them to operate in harsh operating environments, although they followed and continued the Scammell ethos.

Drove a Zil last year, it never stopped in the quarry despite many of the tracked plant getting stuck and required recovering, it shows what companies such as Scammell or AEC could have done if they were still going and developing off road operating trucks, they would make MAN and MB look like amateurs.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 am

ay tom i remember the scammel and the pig,,,,,those were the days ey,,,, Razz :shock: Rolling Eyes stupid getting nowhere fast stupid stupid

you can find me in the hammock or spannering on the 101 and if im not there then i dont know where i am...................

Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:27 am

remember the first show,,,we had the air boat on the pond,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 am

Not just an ordinary air boat though, if you recall it was powered by a 3.5 Rover V8 lump! And the roar of it, it could be heard for miles.

Talking of Scammells, and yes I agree, if only they had carried on - those Explorers were from the 1950's after all - we also has a Stally (Stalwart) go for a swim. Quickly found out though that it's simple to launch one into a lake, but quite another matter climbing back out ... especially when there's no slipway. Don't think those anglers were best please after their fishing platforms were flattened during the recovery operation with the Diamond T wrecker! Twisted Evil

We also had a Foden 6x6 get buried in a bog up to its axles (the same bog Tuggy that you were playing as Chief Marshal with that Supacat 6x6). Even the Diamond T with two gibs and a JCB pulling with a massive chain couldn't budge it, such was the suction. We finally had to summon a 360 slew which had to dig a sort of slipway in the earth to extricate it.

Ah! Happy days! Smile

Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 am

your all wrong so far !

keep the guesses coming
Back to top Go down
ivan123
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 pm

tuggy wrote:
Vixen wrote:

Becouse you can, and becouse you are American lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Is it an old Daf Boyo?

Here's a choice for you ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_8PeSJ0YKo&feature=related

Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:58 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Is it an old Daf Boyo?

Buy that man a pint !

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Wey hey! Thought it was as I'd seen one at a military show in England donkey's years ago. Ugly pug-nosed things, then again they have character. I even tried to Google"old Daf 6x6 truck" but to no avail. Other than aerodynamics, hardly relevant in this case, I can't see the purpose of making a cab that leans back at the top so losing vital cab area. The driver must have had their nose planted permanently against the windscreen! Weird.

That got everyone thinking, anymore guessing games?

Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm

So small arms fire would bounce up and off rather than penetrating?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone correctly identify this?   

Back to top Go down

Can anyone correctly identify this?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1