HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Really done it now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 am

After never wanting one and buying a Discovery 3 months ago I've now taken the plunge and bought a Defender 90
I'm hoping this will be a better bet for the Moroccan trip later in the year.
Not picking it up till Sunday so hopefully pictures then

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
RobGT
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 5:03 am

Hi wideformat4x4,

Congratulations with your Defender 90. cheers
But how far do you want to go in Morocco? I've seen where a Discovery can go. Or is the Defender a much cooler car?
I'm curious to see your pictures.

Cheers, Rob

LandCruiser HZJ78 (2000) - Innovation Campers pop up roof - BFG T/A 235/85 R16 - A.S.S. bucket seats - LongRanger 180 L extra fuel tank - ARB RooBar + Dobinsons winch - 2 Solar panels - SV4x4 Rear bumper - Eberspächer diesel heating

Back to top Go down
http://www.geocruiser.nl
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 am

I just feel the D2 is too heavy for traveling log distance across sand and I don't want to spend most of the day digging it out

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 6:22 am

Rob, of course the 90 is cooler lol!

Looking forward to seeing some pics after you get it. Will turn me green with envy

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 8:23 am

What next? I suppose you could have a Landy on one leg, a Disco on the other. Very Happy

To be honest, uncertain if they're arms or legs in the photo. affraid

Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Congrats on the purchase! Looking forward to hearing how you plan to set it up for the trip!

Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed May 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Done a couple of morocco trips in my disco with no probs what-so-ever. But....IMO the Defender is wayyyyy cooler and that's why I've just bought a 110 for Morocco later in the year. I' will miss the comfort of the drive through France and Spain though.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Sun May 05, 2013 2:06 am

dude...decisions eh...... scratching chin

you can find me in the hammock or spannering on the 101 and if im not there then i dont know where i am...................

http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4

Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Sun May 05, 2013 5:49 am

Mac wrote:
IMO the Defender is wayyyyy cooler and that's why I've just bought a 110 for Morocco later in the year. I' will miss the comfort of the drive through France and Spain though.

Like Mac I'd go Defender for looks, Disco for comfort ... as I get older I need the comfort more and more so I'm trying to get a Disco at the mo Very Happy Hope it's soon, my pockets are burning a hole affraid

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:36 pm

While online I thought I'd update this thread.

The 90 was a scam luckily after asking at the bank about transferring the money as asked they alerted me to the fact that they had never seen a email from Ebay like the response I had.
I used a friends mac with a 24 inch screen and enlarged the image and could then see how the form had been copy and pasted, not a bad job if I say so myself on a ipad or laptop you could not zoom in enough to see the boxes that had been overlayed on the original.

I reported it and the original seller got in touch and said that he sold the vehicle weeks before and his account had been hacked then readvertised as a no show he had another 3 people emailing asking for details not sure if the guy was ever caught or prosecuted as ebay wont discuss anything being handled legally.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Blimey, that would have hurt, lucky you sussed it out in time.

So what actually happened, the seller ask for a bank transfer rather than go though PayPal?

Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Blimey, that would have hurt, lucky you sussed it out in time.

So what actually happened, the seller ask for a bank transfer rather than go though PayPal?
Ebay now do a service called second chance, if the winner of the bid does not show or as said in this case tried to knock the price down and get a part exchange.
Instead of readvertising you can use the second chance service where the next highest bidder is offered the chance to purchase.
Ebay send you a message (which in this case was a dodgy email) and bank details the buyer transfers the money to an ebay account and you then have 5 working days to view the vehicle, if its not as advertised you message ebay and they return youre money of it your happy to purchase they release the money to the seller thus giving you both protection.

In this case the sellers account was hacked and the item was readvertised weeks later with different buying details but using the same pictures and text, there were 5 bidders including me the sale ran to the end being won I guess but the dodgy seller the other 4 bidders were then emailed with the second chance details which had been doctored with false bank account details.

I did not want to transfer the money from my personal savings account so went to my bank and asked them to transfer the money so no one would have my personal details.

Luckily the bank is the same one I use for my business account and they know me very well so rather than the cashier doing the transfer the manager took me into his office to do it privately.

When I handed him my print out of the payment details he hummed and harred a little and said we have done loads of these kind of transactions over the years but these details are for a bank in Poland and it all seems a little strange, he said ebay only contact you directly through your account not by an email he then advised me to proceed with caution.
I then retuned home emailed the bogus seller saying I would only proceed with the purchase on a cash on collection basis, up to now any messages were answered within a few minutes but I had no reply after 24 hours I emailed again saying I believed this to be a scam and was contacting ebay directly.
I reported this to the ebay complaints dept and they were looking into it. I then had a message through ebay from the original seller of the vehicle saying ebay had contacted him about the proper sale and he asked if I could again message ebay including a reference number they had given him as he was being investigated as being part of the scam and assured me he was not.

I must say I was very happy with the advice the bank gave me on this occation (makes a change) and returned with a tin of celebrations later in the week.

The only other comunication I have had from ebay on the matter was to tell me the case was being investigated and they would not enter into any other dialogue

This really was a case of buyer beware and again if it sounds too good to be true it probably is !!

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Strewth! Tis good you've explained about it, we're now all aware. THANKS!!! thumbsup 

Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:48 pm

been looking at a 2006 freelander on e bay for £2650 but it seems to cheap and im sure they changed that year from 1 to 2..:shock: ...all looks a bit to sus.scratch ..so think i will stay clear.....personally i like to go and see the motor before i buy and take cash....thumbsup .

you can find me in the hammock or spannering on the 101 and if im not there then i dont know where i am...................

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 am

Glad you got it sussed, but has for getting stuck you only did it once on a side slope, was impressed with your D2. But you did mention the suspension problem.
So you will need to keep looking, have you tried out other forums the Defender2 might have one for sale.

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:54 am

I've got my eye on a 90 pick up which is as good as mine unless someone buys it while I'm away but as its not been advertised fingers crossed thumbsup 

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
diesel_jim
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Crikey, you were lucky there.

I reckon cash on collection is the way to go. If the seller won't do that, then there's definately something fishy going on.

Last edited by diesel_jim on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:24 am

Quote :
I just feel the D2 is too heavy for traveling log distance across sand and I don't want to spend most of the day digging it out

Buy a shovel twice the size and spend half as much time digging!!!!!!!!! simples.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:55 am

Assassin wrote:
Quote :

Buy a shovel twice the size and spend half as much time digging!!!!!!!!! simples.

Yeah thanks for that very helpful  thumbsup 

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:07 am

Quote :
What next? I suppose you could have a Landy on one leg, a Disco on the other. Very Happy

Its where he's going to hang the lights from which concerns me.  clapping clapping clapping clapping Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Well more Defender woes.
The one I was looking at when away was sold before I returned home.

I've looked at a couple of others but I can't justify spending that much money on a vehicle with the interior that looks like the inside of an Asvogel skip, did think about selling the Disco and blowing the budget on a later reg 90 but err indoors doesn't like the idea of our second car being a old farm truck (as she called it) plus she's not keen on selling the Disco due to the amount of money I've spent on it in the last 12 months.

I've also been looking on and off at series 3s way cooler than later model defenders and a pretty good one is a much more realistic 3rd car or toy.
So it looks like I could be back to a 3 car family but unfortunately the Subaru has to go as a cheaper to run replacement needs to be sourced due to car tax being over £500 plus high insurance premiums and an average 18 to the gallon.

So I see the new transport line up being
1. Diesel Ford Focus for the mem sarbe
2. Disco 2 for me as a day to day runner
3. Series 3, 88 inch with a diesel for green laning, fun days and maybe another desert excursion

What's the general thought on here of the series trucks ?

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Well, I am sure you know my thoughts...I think a series III would be a great choice. Not fast or luxurious but cheap to run and easy to fix. I crossed large parts of Africa in series land rovers and would happily do it again if I didnt have Tembo. If anything happens to Tembo my next choice would be a series III Lightweight.

You'll just have to learn patience on those long uphill sections!

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 am

I like James would go for a series 3, easy to fix and maintain, more fun.
Or like me selling our Discovery 1 V8 on gas, we have a early 3 door model (diesel) to fix, small bit of welding new floor in back and needs front and rear bumpers, all an easy fix.  clinking teacups 

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:09 am

Frustrating I bet. Best call it 'fate' and move on.

I really can't see why Defenders cost so much, especially when you compare the prices to what else is out there. Beats me! scratch 

Sticking to the Disco would make sense, or as the lads say, a Series III isn't such a bad idea.

As for a wagon for 'er indoors, if you're after a saloon/hatchback then type 'LPG' into ebay/gumtree/preloved/etc. Bargains galore, and all at half price fuel. You know it makes sense.

PostSubject: Re: Really done it now   

Back to top Go down

Really done it now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicles - Land Rover-
Jump to: