HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

If it helps...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: If it helps...   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:43 pm

I am a first aider...and also teach first aid (been teaching since 2002) so if anyone has any questons then I am happy to help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:08 am

I was paramedic trained many years ago with my previous employer as we gave pain killing injections to injured men, the law changed and we were forced down this route by these legislatitive changes.

My personal opinion is that it should be taught in schools, even basic first aid is a bonus which is a life skill, and stays with you; unfortunately the compensation culture often makes people wary of intervention as they are worried about a claim against them by an ever increasing number who see compensation claims as an easy way of making money.

In many years of off roading we have been instrumental in assisting injured people, these have been walkers, horse riders, off road motorcyclists, and with an array of simple injuries, and some severe injuries, and even a couple of life threatening injuries. I always carry a first aid kit and a variety of other implements which can be adapted for first aid usage, a shovel makes a good splint as does a large jack handle, and having a 4X4 means we can get to locations where ambulances cannot get, an helicopters cannot land, we have also transported several injured people in our 4X4's to waiting ambulances or helicopters.
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 am

Quote :
My personal opinion is that it should be taught in schools, even basic first aid is a bonus which is a life skill, and stays with you

Agreed!

Quote :
unfortunately the compensation culture often makes people wary of intervention as they are worried about a claim against them by an ever increasing number who see compensation claims as an easy way of making money.

Yeah it does put people off from doing First Aid. I would like to add though that there have been very few successful prosecutions in the UK due to people administering First Aid either correctly or incorrectly. I always get the doubters of this comment slating me when I say this - but try to find a succesful prosecution to someone who isnt a trained medical professional (i.e doctor, nurse, paramedic) and you will see where I am coming from!

Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:43 am

Assassin wrote:
My personal opinion is that it should be taught in schools, even basic first aid is a bonus which is a life skill, and stays with you.
Absolutely! To my knowledge algebra, trigonometry and definitely R.I. haven't helped in my life (in fact Religious Instruction had the opposite effect for which I'm rather grateful for cheers ), whereas first aid training would have. mad
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Just a taste of what we have dealt with as a group over decades of off roading.

Recovered a walker who slid down a rock scree, he broke one leg, one wrist, and siffered severe lacerations from the sharp rocks. We administered first aid and treated him after recovering him using four vehicles with winches and some engineering ingenuity, splints were made from sticks and a stretcher from fallen branches cut with a chainsaw. The guy made a full recovery when we transported him to a waiting ambulance.

Guy riding an off road bike on a green lane, he hit a rock and got his ankle trapped in the back wheel, shattered lower leg and ankle as well as severe lacerations which caused spurters; we had one regular with us who is a doctor who treated him on scene while we extracted him from the mangled wreck which was his bike. We managed to control the bleeding and put him onto the back of a pick up and transported him to an area where a helicopter could land.

Horse rider came off a horse which fell, she had a suspected broken neck which we managed to isolate, transported her to her home which was a nearby farm to a waiting ambulance.

Numerous smaller cuts, falls, and other injuries over the years, the net result was at least three lives have been saved and all made good recoveries, although the motorcyclist has a slight limp.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Assassin wrote:
Recovered a walker who slid down a rock scree, he broke one leg, one wrist, and siffered severe lacerations from the sharp rocks. We administered first aid and treated him after recovering him using four vehicles with winches and some engineering ingenuity, splints were made from sticks and a stretcher from fallen branches cut with a chainsaw. The guy made a full recovery when we transported him to a waiting ambulance.
Blimey, his bones healed fast! Razz

You're certainly a handy bloke to have around, in fact the complete opposite of your username!

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm

I got my nickname many years ago as i never miss when taking a shot.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Opps! Better not extract the urine then. Embarassed

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 pm

have to agree with both of these
Assassin wrote:

My personal opinion is that it should be taught in schools, even basic first aid is a bonus which is a life skill.

Absolutely! To my knowledge algebra, trigonometry

As Tom says that stuff never did me any good cheers

me and swmbo are trying to fine a first aid coures to do Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 am

Good for you. Pop into your local library. They should know as St John's and Red Cross have courses like this all the time.

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 am

Just contact your nearest centre, they will advise accordingly and allow you to do the course and get the certification, then there is the opportunity to provide such organisations with a little financial support from the tiny profits they make from running the courses which subsidises their running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If it helps...   

Back to top Go down

If it helps...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1