HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

I think the wife has changed her mind!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:32 am

Had a drive around today and checked out a garage that had Defender 90's, 110', Disco 1, Disco 2, RRs and LCs. The place seemed over priced but I thought it a good way to see all these trucks in the same place. Boy, have I been slightly wrong up 'til now!!! And the wife has changed her mind too Laughing

There were 3 LCs there and they were mighty, and I mean mighty impressive. There were 2 Colorados and an Amazon. All were just stunning looking (although one stank of smoke - guy could have cleaned the car up a bit).

We're now doing research around these even though we were unsure previously. Cost is still an issue as they seem more than a similar Disco 2, but I guess there must be a reason for that.

If anyone has any advice on what to look for in an LC - Price, version, GX etc, then please do help.

Yep, MIGHTY impressed cheers why have I ignored these trucks previously getting nowhere fast

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:38 am

Good solid vehicles the LC's. My first 4x4 a long time ago was an FJ40. But drove a later model in Zimbabwe for a few years. Good, solid truck. Had the 1HZ six cylinder diesel engine which was pretty solid. Safe in an accident as well. Hit cow once and the bull bar took most of the hit and still drove home from the bush. A couple months later hit a drunk in a Mazda ute in a glancing head-on collision. The mazda disintegrated and the LC took a bit of damage to the front corner but was back on the road a couple of weeks later.

My only big complaint about them is that Toyota subtley changes most components every year, so parts for a 2003 wont fit a 2004. Even though they have had the 1HZ engine as an option for 20 odd years, they change it every year just slightly, which pissed me off to no end when trying to find real Toyota parts for even routine maintenance in places like Harare or Mwanza. Unlike my Land Rovers which up until the silly years began after the TDIs, you could often swap parts between Defenders, Discos and Series from all sorts of age ranges.

But definitely a solid vehicle.

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:54 pm

I think the next step is to try and get to see the LC next to a Shogun so I can compare the 2 next to each other. Also the Jeep Grand Cherokee is something I think I should look at I guess.

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:05 am

Loads of Shoguns/Pajeros around at good prices, the result of the road tax and insurance premiums creeping up I would surmise.

Always said that if I went Japanese, I would buy a VX Landcruiser. Big vehicles with an equally big, sturdy diesel lump. In fact exactly the same vehicle as Sheelah & Oyvind are currently driving on their Kapp2Cape adventure - why not PM them to ask their thoughts on the VX so far?

Haven't heard anything favourable about the Grand Cherokee, for the simple reason nobody uses them for overlanding. That being the case, if you were to ever break down anywhere but right outside a Chrysler dealership, you're stuffed! Best avoided I'd say.

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Loads of Shoguns/Pajeros around at good prices, the result of the road tax and insurance premiums creeping up I would surmise.

Always said that if I went Japanese, I would buy a VX Landcruiser. Big vehicles with an equally big, sturdy diesel lump. In fact exactly the same vehicle as Sheelah & Oyvind are currently driving on their Kapp2Cape adventure - why not PM them to ask their thoughts on the VX so far?

I've been reading the prep for that trip - about 1/2 way through. I must admit I'm a bit of a geek to see how people prep their cars scratching chin

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 am

SafariDude wrote:
Tom Mc wrote:

I've been reading the prep for that trip - about 1/2 way through. I must admit I'm a bit of a geek to see how people prep their cars scratching chin
Interesting eh? Think even they will say there was too much attention paid to sewing/carpentry and not to the vehicle itself. But hey, we've all got to start somewhere, we learn by our mistakes after all. At least they've done exactly what they said they were going to go, prepare a vehicle and head off for a mammoth adventure. So many others think about it but never quite get around to actually doing it. They have, so fair play to them.

They have also left behind a record of their preparation and journey, so that others (a) won't make the same mistakes, and (b) will benefit from their triumphs. That to me is what this forum is all about, the sharing of information - whether good or bad.

Ahhh, I feel a warm glow coming over me, although its more like the radiator's sprung a leak!!! No

Last edited by Tom Mc on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 am

I mentioned the sewing bits to the Mrs and asked if she'd do the same ... I can't add here what she said - very naughty censored

Although to be fair, I won't be making my own shelving either - I'm pretty useless with a saw and hammer. Well, the hammer I'm OK with, but not always for the right reasons Very Happy

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am

SafariDude wrote:
I mentioned the sewing bits to the Mrs and asked if she'd do the same ... I can't add here what she said - very naughty censored
lol!

Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm

The VX / Toyota 80 series are a standard for overlanding

You can find them ready prepared, there is some great expertise , try Julian Volker (help me out here Tom - think he stood at your show last year, based around ledbury in herefordshire), anyway he's acknowledged as a real expert in LC's and may know of some ready to go vehicles for sale (the initial price of a ready to go vehicle can be a bit wallet clenching sometimes but often when you add it all together then you ae getting a bargain really as all the shiney bits cost alot of money)

Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 'Thumper'
Isuzu TFS69 Pickup 'The bakkie'
Ex Owner of Tiggurr The 101

"And that road rolls out like a welcome mat
I don't know where it goes but it beats where we're at
We always said someday somehow
We were gonna get away gonna blow this town" --------- Lonestar
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 pm

That be the one, beat me to it. thumbsup

Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 pm

The problem with the 80 series seems to be that no one sells them! Perhaps we should start a rumour that they are rubbish and maybe the owners will flood the market with cheap trucks idea

Only ones I see for sale I think are the 100's (but I could be wrong).

Thanks for the link to the website. I've seen his site before and do pop over every now and again to see if he has cars for sale but not seen much. Will he be at the overland show this year? If so I'll be having a chat for sure.

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 am

2 on ebay, 2 on autrotrader, what more choice do you want ? cheers

You try finding an Iveco Daily 4x4 ! Now thats difficult !

Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 am

Been checking Autotrader but didn't see any ... many still not sure what I'm looking for bawling

To be honest, never even considered e-bay for buying a car. Is it 'sensible'?

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 am

Or try footloose 4x4 who has 3 or 4 vehicles for sale including a fully equiped 120 series with a maggie tent

http://www.footloose4x4.com/used.html

Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:27 am

SafariDude wrote:
Been checking Autotrader but didn't see any ... many still not sure what I'm looking for bawling

To be honest, never even considered e-bay for buying a car. Is it 'sensible'?

Ebays just like private sales - go see the vehicle, if you want it negotiate a price and pay

Don't do what my friends did who bought a 4x4 hymer camper sight unseen and transfered the whole sum , I was on tenderhooks till the last minute when we turned the corner and saw the vehicle when we went to pick it up. The VX tag has been used over several models so search for toyota landcruiser and in the additional text put 80

The advantage of buying from people like julian or footloose as they have reputations to uphold in a community so they will work har, they won't be the cheapest but you will get well sorted vehicles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201239486368058/sort/default/usedcars/model/landcruiser/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/radius/1500/page/1/keywords/80/postcode/le92dg?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302015144036/sort/default/usedcars/model/landcruiser/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/radius/1500/page/1/keywords/80/postcode/le92dg?logcode=p

Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 am

I hadn't been on the Footloose site before - thanks for that link. Some very interesting trucks there. Will be looking at that a bit more closely when I have a bit more time. Cheers Very Happy

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 am

Like Overland Cruisers, Footloose 4x4 also have a good name, so no problem in that department. And yes, Overland Cruisers have already booked a Trade Stand at ADVENTURE OVERLAND 2013.

If you were to do a fair bit of foreign travel, then maybe looking at Spain for a LHD may be a good idea? Their economy is not great at the mo, so I'm sure bargains are there to be had ... plus of course they are more likely to rust-free as opposed to those in Northern Europe.

Of course the Nissan Patrol is also an option. Again, plenty down in Spain.

Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 am

Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:12 am

I've been following HUBB to see if anything turns up back in the UK, but most seem to be for sale already on the road. Some nice looking vehicles on there though.

I thought this would be more your cup of tea though Iveco? Very Happy

www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-for-sale-wanted/iveco-4x4-for-sale-argentina-64668

Qualified Safari Guide
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:13 am

Ah theres a story behind that one.....

Guess who helped him source the 'new' Iveco in the UK Very Happy

Thought about buying it but need a closer to home trip 1st to test me out rather than the vehicle hence our winter plans this year (see the planned trips section)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think the wife has changed her mind!   

Back to top Go down

I think the wife has changed her mind!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1