HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Waxoil or Dinitrol

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hilux4x4
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:46 am

Hello!

Which one would you recon would be the best to go for? Which company would the best to do a proper job?

The Hilux will be three years old in January and I think it's time for a good clean and rust proof treatment. I have been told that Waxoil is just making a mess and not as good as Dinitrol

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:33 am

There is a place I think near Gatwick that will steam clean and PAINT all of the underside / chassis etc with an elasticised Polyester paint which is incredible stuff. It's like having 3 coats of underseal. I will try to find the article.

However I have been told on a few occassions that waxoil is not as good as it costs..

jellybenitez
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Personally i am a fan of waxoil. Its essential that it goes on a clean chassis though as with anything you dont really want to be plastering it all over dirt and mud. I have worked on campervans that were rotten bodywise having spent their lives next to the beach, however a factory applied waxoil coating on the chassis meant it was as it left the factory underneath. We even scraped someoff to check it was original and the factory paint was perfect underneath. Have used underseal and all sorts of products in wheel arches and they look great when applied but once any water gets underneath your doomed. Years ago your local garage would apply a winter underseal to your car for a small fee, which basically consisted of them painting any old used engine oil/grease underneath. worked a treat but not so good for the environment. There was an articale in a land rover mag recently using some funky polymer but when i looked at the pics i was a bit surprised as they had coated everything and there was over spray on brake hoses, gaitors and springs etc. I'd have thought if you were doing a job for a magazine piece you'd make sure it looked the bees knees surely. Call me a perfectionist but if i pay someone to do a job, i dont want it to look like i've just bought a compressor and had a go myself. Stick with waxoyl or similar. Theres a reason the car manufacturers still use "cavity wax" in cars today, because it works.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:15 am

Waxoil for me. We have had probably 50+ vehicles waxoiled commercially and so far no problems.

Usually cleans the underside then leaves to dry inside for a weekend then applies the oil coating then laves to dry for another day. For the money it works wonders to protect the underside of your vehicle, especially with winter road salt.

Jas

Hyundai Terracan 2.9CRDI Auto
Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Dinitrol for me because they do a much bigger range and different products do different things.

Waxoyl is pretty good but suffers from creep, creep is where it creeps between panel joints and Waxoyl is not that good. Generally it is pretty good everywhere else.

Dinitrol do a range so this overcomes the issue of creep as they do one which has far superior creep qualities to Waxoyl and overcomes this issue, and they do other products which are just as good, if not better than Waxoyl in other areas. It does mean buying two types of Dinitrol though, and if you want the ultimate protection then its Dinitrol.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 pm

With our camper we are bring back to life, the welder bought some of this to use, Tetra Schutz.

Any thoughts on this please.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Schultz is a good product on exposed metal, buy it does not penetrate metal joints as Dinitrol does, particularly inside cavities such as the insided of sills or chassis rails, but makes a good base over which to spray a coating of Waxoyl or Dinitrol. One great advantage of Schultz is that if you scrape it off while off road you can see the damaged area and apply another coating.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Or even insides.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Thank you for that, looking in the box he gave me their is a tin of waxoyl also some Gravi tex plus stone chip protector.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:50 am

Gravi Tex is very good in areas of high impacts such as wheel arches and is something I always use as it can be overcoated with Schultz and then Waxoyl for virtually bomb proof protection, and of course, no rust in such vulnerable areas.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 am

Great feedback, I now know what I need when renovating the Rangie. thumbsup

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Waxoil or Dinitrol   Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Thank you Assassin, I now know in witch order to put them on. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down